21 day clean, purge, balance
31 March 2020 Day 5 (Clean 5) – Self-care: Cleaning health tips
Welcome to Day 5 (Clean 5), – Self Care – Breath and Exercise, Inspire and Move your way to longevity.
Exercise and Breath work are two vital dimensions for bringing more energy and liveliness to our lives and directly influences our longevity. It is great to develop a daily short routine of movement that keeps you in shape and breath work to increase lung capacity and slow the breath each morning. Performing it twice a day can even impact the body more profoundly.
A great breath work program for clean 5 that takes a minimal amount of time is to perform 10-12 complete yogic ujjiya breaths. This is performed by partially closing the glottis at the back of the throat producing a little back pressure and placing the breath in the throat. Breathe in through the nose and breathe out through the nose for the same length of time for a basic breath. If it feels good and is not forced add a short hold in between the in and out breath and between the out and in breath (do not strain). Perform these slowly with attention to filling both the belly and the chest gradually expanding your capacity and slowing the breath.
To this we can add the vagus breathing technique explained previously in Clean 3 (link) to improve breath, release stress, activate the para-sympathetic response and lower blood pressure. These practices are like washing and cleaning the mind and help release old memories and emotions. If you are very anxious or stressed the alternate nostril breath is a great help, do it whenever you feel the need. Simply close the left nostril with your finger breath in through the right nostril; hold for the same length as you breathed in; then breath out (same length of time) through the left nostril holding right; hold breath for same time; then breath in through left nostril; hold for same time; and breath out through right nostril; and hold. This completes one cycle continue for 8-12 cycles.
A great and short exercise program for clean 5 that can be done in 10-15 minutes and exercises 96% of the joints in the body is the Sun Salutation. Grab a diagram at the office if you do not already have it. The steps are as follows be sure and integrate body, mind and spirit by breathing in conjunction with movements and use awareness to feel where your body is sore and needs help – respecting the edge stretching but no pain. Follow these steps for half a cycle substitute right for left and vice versa to complete the cycle and do 4 cycles for a Vata, 8 for a Pitta, and 12 for a Kapha (see the article on body types to find your constitution — find you own edge and don’t overdo it – doing this exercise should energize you so take your time):
- Feet shoulder width, hands on chest prayer position, breath in.
- Extend arms over head with a breath in and do a slight back bend to your edge.
- While breathing out bend forward and touch the knees, ankles or toes at your edge.
- Breathing in; put your right (alternate with left) knee on ground left knee up in hurdlers position with hands reach over head.
- Breathing out: move into downward dog hands down (head in line with shoulders), feet on ground and buttocks up high.
- Breathing in; rise to plank back and buttocks in straight line.
- Breathing out; knees down and bring chin and chest to ground leaving buttocks off ground (8 pointed posture).
- Breathing in; rise into cobra by placing buttocks on ground and raising back and head up with arms or back muscles.
- Breathing out; return to downward dog.
- Breathing in; put right knee on ground, left up and extend arms overhead and back in hurdlers.
- Breathing out; bring right leg up and do forward bend to your edge.
- Breathing in; perform a back bend to your edge hand overhead and back.
- Breathing out; return to starting position hand in prayer position (mountain pose).
- Repeat using other foot back to complete one cycle.
Try this for 21 days to see the effects first hand. Continue the practices from previous days for the entire program to fully experience the benefits.
Take Away (Clean 5): Energize and Inspire yourself for longevity with movement and breath each day.
Enjoy your Cleanse,
Dr. Zaida Rivene, D.C.
083 290 1283
and Jim Montrose, Ayurvedic counselor
071 959 0786
Receive our monthly newsletter, sign up on the website now!
Copyright March 2020